Welcome back to the Wordplay 10 Questions. As ever we will be keeping it light, allowing our guests to expand on their answers as much as their time allowed. This week, we have a talented Brixton based lyricist who has already garnered the attention of Renegades Of jazz, Greg Blackman, Pimpernel Jones and many more, it’s Donnie Numeric. Let’s do it!…
1) Contestant, what’s your name, chosen craft and where are you based?
Donnie Numeric aka Meric. I’m a London based Lyricist, I’m part of The Delegates of Rhyme aka DOR alongside producer Vice. I’m also part of The League Of Awkward Men, and Soul / Jazz band The Popables.
2) How would you describe your sound?
I wouldn’t say I have a particular sound…. I Just like 80s and 90s hip hop so maybe that!!!!!
3) Who / what do you consider to be the biggest influence on your music?
I guess the current state of how we treat life and how others who have power treat other people’s lives who may be in a lower position and the pola opposite of that.
4) What’s the proudest moment to date for you as an artist?
When I spoke to a class of young adults about how to write verses etc and boosting confidence within themselves musically and then watching them perform on stage at the XLR Festival in Bristol in 2014. That was an amazing feeling.
5) Do you have any advice for our readers who maybe trying to play the mad game of music?
If you want to play, then play to win (not in a material sense) but also be prepared to lose.
6) Name 3 people you would love to work with and why?
i don’t know….. I guess –
Ghostpoet, because he seems to be so honest on his depictions of city life and i love the sound he has.
Elzhi, because he’s taken so much on board throughout his life, and i have been a fan and seen the rise and fall and rise again.
Really can’t think of a 3rd, but there’s loads that i know i’ll think of as soon as we finish!
7) What have you got planned for the not so distant future?
I’m not sure…. just writing as i go….nothing set in stone….
8) What’s the album you’ve played more than any other?
There’s a few. It tends to change, but at the moment, i’ve got three on loop –
– Joey bada$$ – B4DA$$
– Alex-is – Relevant English Rhymes UK runnings Mixtape
– Kendrick Lamar – To pimp a Butterfly
9) What’s the best concert you’ve ever been to? And where?
Slum village at The Jazz Cafe in Camden, and TY’s Kick, Snare and an Idea at the Jazz Cafe (i love that place!), the vibe was amazing. I loved the fact that his mum was there and he was talking to her throughout the show. I love MC’s who are honest and aren’t fronting on some stupidity. Hip-hop is about love and the community to me.
10) Name 3 things you can’t live without?
This’ll sound hippy’ish, but i’d say –
LOL…..joking but kinda not
– Ipod (it was a dark time when my last one broke!
– Eyes (i love seeing the day change, and see the amazing city that i live in. I never get bored of my surroundings.
– Ears – Kind of for the same reason. Sounds constantly inspire me
Lastly, can you nominate another contestant and provide us with a question for them on your behalf?
Alex-is, who’d one of the most talented lyricists i’ve been blessed to work with,
and my question to him is –
“if he had to do one last album what would he call it?”
Any last words/shoutouts?
No last words really, i’ve said too much already!
Shout outs to Wordplay of course, all the blogs, radio stations, DJs, artists and fans who have supported me on my journey and everyone trying to get by in this world. Also, a shout Uchi Clothing who i’m lucky enough to be supporting me. It’s humbling, truely.
Images by Split Vision Photography