1) Contestant, what’s your name, chosen craft and where are you based?
Wasson Wordplay! I’m BigSmokin’Joe, MC & Beatmaker from Burnham-On-Sea
2) How would you describe your sound?
Simple Boom Bap beats and Locally Inspired Bars. Proud to re-enforce how far and wide Hip Hop’s reach is… Even The Shire
3) Who / what do you consider to be the biggest influence on your music?
Sean Price! RIP to Big Ruck… What a legend…. Also, watching Battle Rap reshaped how I approach writing. Those guys are razor sharp and watching them keeps me hungry.
4) What’s the proudest moment to date for you as an artist?
I just launched my album in Australia hitting Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane. Then I came home to a packed out Glastonbury show full of old mates. My Mum even got on stage and rocked a big chorus at the end… Mate.. it was lush! But YO! Being in Wordplay Magazine is a seriously proud moment, thank you.
5) Do you have any advice for our readers who maybe trying to play the mad game of music?
A Wise Owl once said.. “Be Orginal! Dont copy this material! Use your own voice and make sure it’s lyrical!”
6) Name 3 people you would love to work with and why?
Marathon Cypher with Eminem, Method Man and Preemo on the decks… YES! Took me ages to think of that, now I gotta make happen…
7) What have you got planned for the not so distant future?
End of this month, local Festival Bodstock have given me a slot on a sick lineup and I’m proper chuffed with that! Also, local Boxer and fellow Burnham Boy Bobby Jones has asked me to do a Ring Walk with him for his title Match on October 1st and do a little half time show. That’s a new one for me! Then back to building material for my forthcoming label EyeManifest Records.
8) What’s the album you’ve played more than any other?
Temples Of Boom, no doubt…
9) What’s the best concert you’ve ever been to? And where?
My buddies Rudd and Sikoh came all the way to Australia back in 2013. Sikoh was painting walls and Rudd was on his phone loads. I was like “Eeere Rudd, come on man… Get off your Phone!” It was long… Until Rudd spotted B-Real on Faceook, saying The Hill were playing in Melbourne that night and there’s no weed… When life give you lemons: Fetch B real some weed son…. Best Night Ever…
10) Name 3 things you can’t live without?
Batman, Falafels and High Grade Warty Budds
Lastly, can you nominate another contestant and provide us with a question for them on your behalf?
Gotta be the don that is Lotek…
“In a world of 8 Mile, Get Rich or Die Trying, Straight Outta Compton and The Get Down, what Hip Hop Story would you like to see told on screen and why?”
Hyped to hear the answer!!!!
Any last words/shoutouts?
Massive shouts to my bro DJ Daily and the Melbourne Family. Their Open Mic culture and supportive community have a huge role to play in my progress. Mad love to Lotek for all his help over the years, he’s a Don! And shouts to everyone in Burnham and Glastonbury for holding me down. PEACE!